In the United States, only 25% of high-achieving students from low-income communities apply to the nation's most selective colleges and universities. At EMERGE, we believe that talent is universal, but opportunity is not. Grounded in this belief, EMERGE empowers and prepares high-performing students from underserved communities to attend and graduate from selective colleges & universities across the nation.
The Manager of Operations will drive projects across EMERGE’s HR, Operations, and Finance workstreams. This person will be involved in all aspects of the business function for EMERGE, reporting directly to the Managing Director of Finance & Operations. She or he will also work closely with the Director of Talent Engagement & HR and the Senior Manager of Finance.
We are looking for a strategic thinker with a passion for helping support, grow and enhance our organization’s operations. The ideal candidate for this role has project management experience with an interest in engaging with many different stakeholders and functions.
August 1, 2021
As the Manager of Operations, you will spend your time in the following ways.
Human Resources & Staff Engagement
- Work closely with the Director of Talent Engagement & HR to create and implement our annual hiring process. The Manager of Operations will be responsible for:
- Lead the planning meetings with all hiring managers to create job descriptions, timelines and hiring plan
- Posting jobs and managing our application system
- Managing the interview and offer process for all candidates
- Serve as the logistics lead for onboarding employees, making sure everyone on the Operations team knows their role to ensure employees are engaged from Day 1, and running the New Hire Orientation
- Coordinate all offboarding procedures for employees exiting EMERGE
- Manage our quarterly feedback process including, updating documents, scheduling feedback dates and ensuring completion by managers
- With input, create our bi-annual staff surveys and summarize results in presentation form
- Support the Director of Talent Engagement & HR with employee engagement activities throughout the year, along with the Holiday and End of Year Party
- To keep a separation of duties, this role will be responsible for a monthly reconciliation of the Development revenue numbers and the Finance revenue numbers
- Managing invoicing and payments for the organization with oversight from the Senior Manager of Finance
- Run the technology workstream, including:
- Supporting the Managing Director with any technology changes
- Staying up to date on relevant technologies and training the team
- Evaluating our current systems and creating improved processes
- Managing our software accounts (i.e., Zoom, Adobe, etc.)
- Purchasing new hardware when needed
- Own all office operations, including:
- Managing contracts with office vendors (water, internet)
- Supplies ordering
- Room reservations
- Sorting and reviewing office mail
- During COVID, running any operations related to office visit sign up, signage, extra sanitizing supplies ordering
- Manage our internal communications website, the EMERGE Hub, including:
- Monthly and quarterly updates
- Driving employees to the Hub
- Creating new content in an interesting and digestible way
- Work closely with the Managing Director on special projects as they arise
Strategic Thinker & Problem Solver
- Asks the right questions and creates innovative solutions to drive change and improve processes
- Thinks about the bigger picture and imagines long-term processes for the organization
- Foresees and addresses challenges and opportunities within the operations team, and actively seeks resources to create out-of-box solutions
- Quickly reacts and adjusts to changing environments and works closely with the team to ensure solutions are built for all stakeholders
- Takes ownership of a project from beginning to end
Organization & Prioritization
- Handle multiple workstreams and tasks at once, making sure to keep all stakeholders informed of progress
- Maximizes work time and completes tasks efficiently and effectively
- Decisions reflect strong judgment of how time is spent that is aligned with priorities and responsibilities
- Produces high-quality work with high attention to detail
Relationship Builder & Team Player
- Understands the power of building relationships with the Operations team and overall EMERGE team to foster better project outcomes
- Drives accountability towards meetings goals and following processes laid out by the operations team
- Engages key stakeholders to gather input that will inform the execution of work
- Thinks strategically about how to communicate across multiple audiences
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience related to at least one of the following: nonprofit operations, Human Resources, or project management
- A problem-solver, able to prioritize multiple projects
- An entrepreneurial work ethic and a desire to build new processes
- Exceptional organization skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Zoom and other newer technologies
- Mission-alignment with EMERGE’s mission and purpose
Who we are:
At EMERGE, we live by our Core Values:
- Equity grounds us
- Diversity defines us
- Talent mobilizes us
- Meaningful relationships fuel us
- Results distinguish us
Founded in 2010, EMERGE is a developmental, college-access organization changing the life trajectories of hundreds of students across the Houston area. Since its inception, EMERGE has grown from serving 14 students across four high schools, to serving over 1,500 high school students across five school districts. We also serve over 1,200 college scholars at over 100 selective colleges and universities across the country.
The EMERGE nonprofit is a partner to EMERGE Houston ISD, EMERGE Spring Branch ISD, EMERGE Spring ISD, EMERGE Aldine ISD, and EMERGE Klein ISD.
As the EMERGE’s impact has grown, our nonprofit team has grown to38staff members. This team includes SISD, SBISD, AISD, and KISD Program Managers, our Curriculum and Training staff, the College Success team, and our internal business functions. You will be joining an energetic, passionate team of individuals working to propel Houston’s top talent upwards and onwards.
What we offer:
At EMERGE we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
We provide compensation that takes into account each candidate’s experience and responsibilities. Yearly increases are based on the impact and scale of your role, along with external market factors. The salary range for this role starts at $55,000.
- We offer Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance.
- We provide Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance, along with Life Insurance.
- We have a 403b plan that employees can opt into.
- Each employee has 27 Paid Time Off days for the year. EMERGE is closed for 18 holidays.
Priority Application Deadline: Sunday, June 6th @ 11:59pm CST